Thrifty Thursday's: budget friendly tips for making, baking, creating, and decorating to your coastal/country heart's content!
This is a long-time favorite meal of mine that combines the scrumptious flavors of herb-roasted potatoes, creamy goat cheese, red onion, and tangy artichoke hearts with the freshness of spring greens, all topped with a creamy homemade sun dried tomato dressing. Perfect as a main course with garlic toast on the side! Make it for a date night at home and let me know what you think!
(Disclaimer: I have never written down a single recipe, so please bear with my 'loose' instructions...I'm an interpretive chef).
Roasted Potato & Goat Cheese Salad with Homemade Sun Dried Tomato Dressing
approx. $12.00-$14.00 (for 2)*
For the Salad:
2-4 baby red potatoes, cut into 8ths (or a great short-cut: Alexia Reds Parmesan & Garlic frozen potato wedges)
1/4th of a small red onion, very thinly sliced (width-wise, into rings)
1/2 c. goat cheese crumbles
1 6oz jar marinated artichoke hearts
1/2 c. kalamata or pitted black olives
1 roma tomato cut into wedges
pine nuts (optional, to top with)
Olive Oil & Seasoning blend for potatos: Salt, Pepper, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Garlic powder
1 5oz package of baby greens spring mix (like Earthbound Farms Organic)
1 lemon wedge
For the Dressing:
In a food processor, combine:
1/4c. marinated sundried tomatoes (if using dried: soak in a cup of water for a few hours, drain and toss with herbs & olive oil)
1 small clove garlic (or garlic powder if you prefer a less intense garlic flavor)
1/4 c. olive oil
2tbsp balsamic vinegar
1tsp Dijon mustard
Salt, Pepper, & herb seasoning to taste
(you may have to add more oil/vinegar to keep the dressing smooth and liquid, depending on how your processor blends things).
1.Cut, chop, prep all ingredients so they're ready to go
2. In a large skillet, heat 2tbsp olive oil and herb seasoning, add potatoes and toss to evenly coat. Keep at med. heat, cover, watching and mixing so they don't burn, until soft in the middle and crispy-golden on outside.
3. Make the dressing (add all ingredients to a food processor, blend until smooth and creamy)
4. In a large salad bowl, toss greens with juice from lemon wedge, then dressing, separate on plates for serving
5. Top salad with potatoes, goat cheese, onion, artichoke hearts, olives, pine nuts, and tomato wedges (on side)
6. Serve with garlic toast & red wine or a tasty ale! (pairs well with BlueMoon's Rising Moon, Spring Blonde Wheat Ale).
* prices are based on the amounts of ingredients used, not the cost of buying the products in the store, and does not include pantry staples like olive oil, salt, pepper, seasonings