Sweet Orange Tofu & Stir Fry Veggies
$16 for 4 servings
The great thing about this week's Thrifty Thursday recipe is that you can use as many or as few ingredients as you would like, depending on your veggie preferences. I went all out which made for a color-crammed plate of deliciousness...and a good amount of yummy left-overs! This is a great alternative for a pricy and sodium-packed take-out date night... sweet & citrusy you can't go wrong! (but you're on your own for the fortune cookies)
1 package extra-firm tofu
1 head baby bok choy
1 small crown broccoli, chopped
1 small can baby corn
1 small can peeled, whole waterchestnuts
1 small can baby "button" mushrooms
1 small can sliced bamboo
1 small red onion, chopped
1/2c red bell pepper, chopped
1 orange (juiced, zest-ed)?
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4c peanut oil
1 tbsp+ sesame oil
2 tbsp honey
1/4c Soyaki (or teriyaki sauce)
1c crushed peanuts for topping (optional)
2c white rice
1. Cook rice with 1tbsp sesame oil (1c rice/ 2c h2o...bring to boil, simmer for 20-25mins)
2. Chop tofu into cubes, toss with juice & zest from orange, honey, 1tbsp teriyaki sauce, 2 cloves garlic...let marinate for 20mins.
3. Steam broccoli, bell peppers about 5mins (microwave with 2 tbsp water or stovetop)
4. In a medium pan, heat half peanut oil. Toss in tofu, cook until cripsy/toasted on all sides.
5. Heat rest of peanut oil in a large wok/frying pan. Add onion, stirring for 1 min til soft. Toss in broccoli/bell peppers, bok choy, carrots, mushrooms, water chestnuts, bamboo and the rest of your pantry. Cook about 5 mins.
6. Pile veggies on top of a heap of fluffy rice, top with a scoop of tofu and some crushed peanuts. Finish with a drizzle of sesame oil and teriyaki! Mmmm... Island feeeeevah!